Monday, July 7, 2008

Friday is 'bike to work day,' and I'm gearing up for it

How can you embrace Mother Earth while sticking it to the oil companies at the same time?

Ride your bike to work!

This Friday is actually Ride Your Bike to Work Day and there is actually a day of events planned by various government and business entities:

As I was researching this, I discovered that a group called "Central Indiana Commuter Services" can pair you up with Bike Buddies or carpool buddies. They also offer emergency rides homes, where a taxi will pick you up and take you home if you are sick or your bike/bike seat is stolen. I was impressed that Indy has a program like this. They don't/can't promote it nearly enough.

I'm a big guy and a need help ridding myself of my spare tire(s), so to speak. Biking the 7 miles to my office once or twice a week would amount to a trifecta for me. I live at 106th and Michigan and will need to ride all the way to my office at 71st and Georgetown. I have ridden this before and the section between 96th and 86th never ceases to scare the s#!@ out of me.

But I AM going to do this despite the fact that some commuters will confuse me with a circus bear who escaped the big top.

I promise to post a video of my journey, so check back soon!

No comments: