Monday, July 7, 2008

The Death of Tim Russert: NBC forgets about HIPPA

As a news and politics junkie and as a former reporter, I was shocked to hear Tim Russert died today. I grew up watching NBC nightly news with Brokaw and as my interest in politics grew, I never missed Meet the Press. Who didn't think it was cool that he broadcast the show from downtown Indianapolis a few weeks ago?

In watching the tributes and coverage of his death, I think the coverage even on NBC is getting a little out of hand. While he is a very public figure, should his personal physician be giving details about his health history only hours after he died? Don't you think it's weird that his employer is the one broadcasting the information that HIPPA rules and regulations is supposed to protect. Even if there's something in his contract that allows his health info out, Shouldn't his wife give he OK first? If so, why bother her with that just after his passing.

Maybe I'm the one getting carried away, so decide for yourself: Here's a link to NBC's coverage of one of journalism's brightest and most influential people. Watch the video from his doctor and tell me if this IS or IS NOT out of line.

No comments: