Thursday, September 4, 2008

Words that make me Cringe


As a writer for 20 years or so, I've always kept an unofficial list in my head of words that make me cringe when I hear them. These are not just outdated words or minor annoyances, I'm talking about words that may ruin my day if I hear them.

I'm actually a pretty level-headed guy. It takes a lot to piss me off. But this year, for some reason, I am >><< (wincing) more often when I am watching the news or listening to sports or talk radio. I just keep hearing words that drive me crazy. I'll be first to admit that I am getting older and more apathetic. I alone am responsible for my happiness and reaction to things I can not control.

But instead of blaming myself, why not blame . . . the media! I think do think writers and talking heads are getting lazy and just recycling phrases that someone has made universally acceptable.

THE WORD that motivated me to put together a formal list is the worst threat to face the English language since "whatever" (10 years or so). That word is:

"nosh"

ARRRRGH! Hearing that word in my head is like Freddie Krueger fingers scraping a frozen chalkboard. You have to be hip to nosh and if you are noshing, you are cool. Since many of you on SI are professional communicators, please make your day a nosh-free zone!

Below is my unofficial list of other words and phrases that bug me. These are certainly not exclusive to me, I'm sure many of you share my disdain for some of these words and phrases.

NOSH- to snack between meals
CRUNK- and NFL term for getting pumped up
BLING- ostentatious jewelry
PIQUE- to excite
ERECTILE - just because it is often found next to "dysfunction" during sports broadcasts I watch with my 9 year-old son
CHERUB- No good reason, I've just always been bugged by this word
PANTOMIME- see above
CHIPOTLE - This was my "nosh" of 2005, but it still burns.
FARVE - Just when I begged the sports gods to give me a new story, I discover Manning will be out for surgery
BURSA SACK- I have no problem with a bursa or a sack, but we have 150 bursae in our body to facilitate movement between bones and tendons. Which bursa is infected dammit!
BASTARD- Where has this word gone? You never hear it any more but it was big in the 80s. Could you imagine using this word today? It would be worse than the F-word!
DRAMADY- an example of word bastardization
infotainment- yet another example
WORDSMITH- ironic, isn't it?
DECIMATE- when used instead of annihilate. Decimate means only to reduce by 10 percent
ENTITLED- when used instead of "titled." OK if you're a Brit, however.

Phrases:
"At the end of the day"
"throw (someone) under the bus"
"The (insert sport here) Gods were smiling on me."
brick oven
talking points
perfect storm
sanitary landfill

Please add to this list. What are some words that make you cringe?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"It is what it is..." Has crept from the sports lexicon to everyday life!

Unknown said...

Plus, nice use of Wordle!!!